Used as a spare bedroom or guest room, this multipurpose room can be used for many different activities. I have seen them being used as playrooms, workshops, offices, and also converted into a walk in closet. Before you decide to turn your spare bedroom into an extra living space take some time to consider the benefits of your decision. Here are some questions when considering turning your spare room into a multi purpose room:
(1) How often will this room be used?
(2) Will you have guests staying over on an occasional basis or more frequently (this may affect the size and functionality of the room)?
(3) What activities will you use the room for? Will it house a playroom, workshop, entertainment center, office or bedroom ? More than one of these uses can be accommodated in some cases. But you should take into consideration how much space each activity requires. For example televisions need to be kept away from high traffic areas to avoid damage and childrens toys need to occupy a secluded corner so parents don’t throw them out when they get bored with them.
The design possibilities are limited only by your imagination but first you need to take into consideration how much space you have and what you want the room to do for you.
If you are limited with space, make sure that your activities will fit in the available area. If your activities include a large bed, toy storage, book shelves and possibly an office desk the small spare bedroom can quickly become congested. You should consider moving some of these functions into other rooms in your home or designating another room as a playroom if necessary– until renovations are possible. I am going to show you 3 different designs for converting a small spare bedroom into a multipurpose room and 1 design for turning your garage/loft into an extra living area using similar principles (garage loft conversion plan). The third method I am going to show you is the easiest and cheapest but doesn’t create a nice finished look.
or if money is tight, try using this less than perfect design method as shown. (note: pictures below)
A good designer will be able to customize a multi purpose room for your needs regardless of how much space you have available. You should take into consideration that multi purpose rooms tend not to be very large because they can be used for so many different activities and this may not work for everyone. Also in small rooms it can sometimes be hard to achieve privacy while still retaining the ability to divide areas accordingto use. It also allows more traffic area which means you would have to walk through the playroom etc just to get from one end of the room to the other.
You should consider these things before designing your multi purpose room:
(1) Think about how you would use the space and what activities you want it to be used for? Do you have children and if so will they be spending time in this room? Do you enjoy reading? Consider a reading corner with comfortable seating, a lamp and shelves for your book collection. Will it house a playroom, workshop, entertainment center, office or bedroom ? More than one of these uses can be accommodated in some cases. But don’t cram too much into small spaces because then it may become more difficult to achieve privacy while still retaining the ability to divide areas accordingto use. You may also find that traffic area limits circulation and the need to walk through one room to get from one end of the room to the other.
2) Think about how many different activities you can fit into this small space. In an effort to convert a spare bedroom into a multipurpose room I have seen some people try and cram too much in there. Sometimes it doesn’t work because the rooms become smaller and harder to use. Consider moving some of these functions into other rooms in your home for now and designing another room to be a multipurpose playroom if necessary.
(3) Think about how you want the space to look? Do you require privacy while you read, watch television or work? Will furniture arrangement influence traffic flow in the room? What type of flooring will it have? If there are children involved will they be using this room? What appliances will you have in the room? Will you fit a bed into the space and if so consider how much floor area is required for sleep out. Is there enough storage or do you need it to look tidy? Consider all of these factors before attempting an design because it can make or break your success at converting a room.
Call Ethereal Painters today at 604-505-2745. Our professional team of reliable Vancouver painters can help you with your upcoming interior or exterior residential painting project.